Saturday 29 August 2009

Persephone Wrap Up


This is my final update post for the wonderful Persephone Reading Week. I have greatly enjoyed co-hosting this week, indulging in reading Persephone Books, and reading all of your comments and related posts. I would like to thank Verity for all of her hard work and enthusiasm, the generosity of Persephone Books, and all of the excited participants for making this an amazing week. Here's to Persephone Reading Week 2010!

Random Number Generator reliably informs me that the last lucky winner of Good Evening, Mrs Craven is ...

STEPH

Congratulations! Please email your details and I'll post that along with the others next week.

Commiserations to those who didn't win anything this week; console yourself with the thought of the prizes next time!

Yesterday, Tracey wrote a great review of The Wise Virgins by Leonard Woolf. Nymeth, Claire, and Book Psmith all wrote wonderful summary posts from which I will borrow a part.

During this week I read one Persephone every day for four days until yesterday when, with a headache and sheer tiredness, I only managed a quarter of Good Evening, Mrs Craven so look forward to a review for that at a later date. I was also tempted by so many others on my grey -especially Saplings and Miss Buncle's Book- but will savour those some time soon; I also have a couple more on my immediate reading list that weren't mentioned this week and borrowed a couple from Verity. As for the ones that are now top of my Persephone wishlist:




The Wise Virgins


Round About a Pound a Week


Miss Ranskill Comes Home


The Village


The Runaway


Lastly, fleur fisher asked how we all discovered Persephone Books and Verity answered this herself midweek.

As for me, a friend actually told me about Persephone Books back in 2006 but I didn't really follow through. I bookmarked the website, had a look at their catalogue (only really paying attention to the author names I had read: Virginia Woolf, Katherine Mansfield, and Frances Hodgson Burnett) but missed the opportunity to truly discover them. I was intrigued, however, and planned to go to the shop during a visit in '07 but didn't... Then in April '08, I googled for more information regarding the VMC 30th Birthday Commemorative hardbacks and came across this blog post written by Danielle of A Work in Progress. I was surprised and thankful that Persephone Books had again been brought to my attention and immediately attracted to the sound of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Upon further research, I discovered that it was about to be released as a film, and promptly purchased a Classics edition of it; I read it as soon as it arrived and a love affair was born. A couple of months later I made my first order from the shop (The Victorian Chaise-longue) and added myself to their mailing list. In October, having just moved to London, I made my first visit to the shop and haven't looked back since. Sixteen months from reading Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, I have read a further fourteen Persephones and have another eight unread on the shelf. I am definitely in love with the magical imprint.

Thank you for sharing in and contributing to my Persephone passion.

17 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

Miss Pettigrew was my first- and so far only- Persephone book but I really need to change that. thanks for the great post! :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you for a great week. I have added many Persephones to my wish list and have developed a real interest in them now.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cristina said...

Congratulations, Steph!

Looking forward to your next review, Claire :-)

Ana S. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your headache, Claire! I hope you're feeling better. Thank you once again for hosting! And congratulations to Steph :)

Merenia said...

I hope your head feels better. You deserve a very large lie down and rest after all your Persephone efforts. Thank you again.

Something's Dishy said...

You won't believe this but my computer crashed this week after a 14 hour flight home. I was devastated and unable to contribute anything at all to Persephone week. My internet also got disconnected the next day so I was also unable to use my husband's laptop. Internet is finally back but I think I'm too late. I'll enjoy reading all the reviews anyway and thanks for organising and hosting this event. We'd love to do it again!

Astrid (Mrs.B) said...

I've managed to add a posting about the Shuttle on my website. Please check it out. Better late than never!

Samantha said...

You and Verity have had a VERY busy week and I am only now able to catch up with all your posts and everyone elses reviews and comments on their Persephone reading this week. It certainly looked to be a great success. Congratulations!

I have posted my review of Miss Buncle's Book here: http://rubyredbooks.blogspot.com/2009/08/miss-buncles-book-by-de-stevenson.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for a great week, I only wish I had had h=more time to have been involved but I loved it and it got me reading some books I never would have but definately should have. How about a Persephone fortnight next?

Paperback Reader said...

Marie, thanks for commenting :) I agree: you do need to change that!

Jackie, you're welcome and I look forward to reading about your future Persephone reads.

I more or less made yesterday an internet and reading free day and it's helped my head a little, but I'm still struggling.

Cristina, a Good Evening, Mrs Craven review will feature at some point his week. Hope you enjoy it.

Ana, thank you. I'm feeling a little better. It doesn't help that I have such a huge TBR pile waiting for me and too sore a head to read them!

Merenia, thank you :). I took yesterday off, as I was exhausted and feel a little bit rested. I under-estimated how much hard work this week would be but it was a lot of fun and definitely worth it!

Astrid, I'm so sorry you weren't here to join us for the week but we will definitely be doing it again!

Samantha, I hope you enjoy catching up and great review of Miss Buncle's Book!

Simon, a Persephone fortnight next time is a great idea!

Julia said...

Thank you very much for organising this, it's been such a pleasure reading everyone's posts and reviews. I'm late again, but I've written a little about my Persephone experience and Dorothy Whipple's stories on my blog.

Paperback Reader said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paperback Reader said...

Julia, thanks for your post! I'm pleased you enjoyed reading along and hope you join in the next one too.

claire said...

Thanks for an amazing week! I had soooo much fun and am super addicted to Persephones now! Too bad I can't order from them directly as I only use cash/PayPal. :(

Paperback Reader said...

Claire, that's unfortunate but yay for The Book Depository!

verity said...

Thank you so much for your co-hositng. Not sure I could cope with a P fortnight tho!

Paperback Reader said...

Verity, in terms of a Persephone overdose or double the amount of stress? It could be more relaxed as we wouldn't be trying to fit so much in...