Tuesday 29 September 2009

Teaser Tuesdays


Quote a couple of spoiler-free sentences from the book you’re reading to tempt others.

"No sooner had I walked through them than I was practically run down by a fat man in a wheelchair who had a whistle stuck in his mouth. As he grabbed the rims of the wheels firmly in both hands, the wheelchair came to a halt so abruptly that he practically shot out of his chair and his black wig, more like a toupee, slid over his forehead, and he had to shove it back in place."
I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal p. 47



9 comments:

verity said...

I've not come across this author let alone the title, so look forward to hearing about it in due course!

gautami tripathy said...

I like the name of the author!

Teaser Tuesdays: The Sister Pact by Cami Checketts

Rachel (Book Snob) said...

Hahaha I remember that bit! Looking forward to discussing this on Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Oh I liked this bit lots, in afct I am shocked how funny it is... and how rude!!! Shall say no more until Thursday!

Paperback Reader said...

Verity, I came across Hrabal at University and Vintage have recently reissued a couple of his books.

Guatami, it's a curious name, isn't it? It's Czech.

Rachel, I'm looking forward to discussing it too!

Simon, it is very comic -which I was expecting (although not sure if it would translate)- but the rudeness was a surprise! Until Thursday...

Anonymous said...

Oh HA, I read that bit yesterday. Am enjoying it immensly although sad that I can't come on Thurs this time due to double booking myself with a work event :( I will be sending my thoughts by proxy though!

I agree with Simon, how rude! (and entertaining).

Paperback Reader said...

Polly, I'm glad you are enjoying it! You shall be missed but looking forward to your thoughts.

Darlene said...

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode! Looking forward to hearing more about this title.

Paperback Reader said...

Darlene, hehe. As usual for a book group read my post will appear on the day after, which is this Friday.