Monday 14 September 2009

Making my Day


Today is officially the beginning of Book Blogger Appreciation Week where we can take the opportunity to celebrate our book blogging efforts, recognise each other, and discover new blogs and bloggers. In the spirit of mutual admiration, today's blog post is in honour of those great bloggers who were not shortlisted for any of the BBAW awards this year (and one who very deservedly was). Only a handful of my favourite blogs made it to the shortlists, which means that so many went without me saying congratulations for being a great book blogger and thank you for enriching my book blogging experience.

I hate to play favourites but I want to acknowledge some of my favourite blogs. These blogs and their writers make my day brighter and I am always excited to see a new blog post by each of them. These are the bloggers whose bookish opinions I trust and the ones who have prompted me to purchase and read so many books. I was always an eclectic and proficient reader but these bloggers have inspired me to read more and many.

Stuck in a Book: Simon has such an interesting blog where I am bound to find something new to read or read about. I love his "50 Books You Must Read But May Not Have Heard About" list and his recently added Weekend Miscellany, which brings together fabulous bookish and blog links. From before I began blogging, I read his blog and was aware of Simon's passion for Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker; I now own a copy and look forward to reading it...

Kiss a Cloud: my namesake's blog is simply beautiful. Claire combines lovely, evocative photographs with an eclectic mix of reviews and they are always a joy to read. We share favourite writers and, at my corruption, a love for matching author sets of books. I love Claire's posts about cover art as I relate with her passion for loving a book by its cover.

Verity: I enjoy both Verity's blogs for different reasons. The B Files combines two of my favourite things: books and cakes and Verity's Virago Venture, albeit niche, is an exciting project that has contributed to my own Virago Modern Classics addiction. Verity is a loyal commenter on my blog and a fellow bibliophile; we have become friends during the time we have blogged and she, as well as her blogs, are a daily feature in my life. We also co-host Persephone Reading Week together and I couldn't ask for a better co-host.

Farmlanebooks: Jackie is a prolific blogger and I admire her blogging drive and determination. Books are her life, literally her means of life, and I get that completely. Her taste is wide and varied and I know that I am going to find an interest post daily and something entirely different from the day before. Jackie is continually challenging herself to read more prize-winners and nominees and it is through her enthusiasm that I have been more conscious to do likewise.

Roses Over a Cottage Door: Darlene's blog, and Darlene herself, is simply lovely. We read similar books but I admire her discipline when it comes to only reading books that she passionately wants to read as life is too short to read everything. Very funny and sweet, Darlene also has a sweet tooth and regales us with baking too!

Lakeside Musing: when I happened across JoAnn's blog, I knew I loved it from the first post I read as her enthusiasm is infectious. JoAnn loves books -okay, we all do, that's why we blog- but JoAnn's writing evokes it exceptionally well. Her posts are always illuminating and many a time I have instantly sat down to read something she has recommended.

Savidge Reads: I thought I was addicted to books and book buying until I met (figuratively and literally - I attend his book group) Simon. He came to reading late and is definitely making up for it! His posts are always varied, interesting, and enthusiastic.

Things Mean a Lot: Seeing the header of Nymeth's blog, I instantly bookmarked her site, before even reading her posts. We both love Children's literature, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Sarah Waters, Margaret Atwood, and through Ana I have discovered wonderful writers and books that I wouldn't have elsewhere. If I didn't know that I loved her writing, passion, and good taste then this post alone would have told me in huge, neon, letters; anyone who can write so effusively about Angela Carter and see what I see in the same way, is a kindred spirit.

Speaking of kindred spirits, my favourite new blog is Book Snob. Rachel may write for the discerning reader but she also is one and her posts always make me smile and nod my head in agreement. Going out to buy a dress for a wedding and coming back with an armful of books instead, is proof that she is one of us: a book lover.

If you don't know these blogs then please visit, read, and enjoy.

For all of the wonderful blogs that I didn't acknowledge, I'm sorry. I appreciate your love of books, your love for my blog, and if I comment then you know that I love yours too.




32 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the kind words! I love all the blogs you mention and agree that it is really good to meet up with other bloggers/book lovers at our book group. I look forward to sharing many more book thoughts in the future. Thanks again!

Lezlie said...

Great list! These are some great blogs!

Lezlie

Paperback Reader said...

Jackie, you're welcome. I read your reply to Simon about the impersonal side of blogging at times and how sharing our opinions in person is refreshing; I completely agree.

Lezlie, thanks. It's so difficult narrowing it down but I would miss these blogs so much if they were no longer there.

Ana S. said...

Thank you so much, Claire! I'm honoured to be included among such fantastic bloggers.

Rachel (Book Snob) said...

Claire you are lovely and far too kind. I adore your blog and reading a post from you always brightens up my day too! Thank you so much for picking me out as a favourite, I am so flattered. It has put a big smile on my face!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I like Simon's blog too! Here is mine

Paperback Reader said...

No problem, Ana.

Aw thank you, Rachel, and I'm glad that I managed to put a smile on your face this week too (after the Persephone last week)!

Hi Bluestocking, thanks for commenting. Great list! I am discovering so many blogs today.

Anonymous said...

k you so make for those lovely words Claire. I have to admit being so deep in the sensation novels and that period I have sadly by passed this appreciation week.

However you know I adore your blog as I am always popping by and commenting and of course you are in my blog links on the site which I am bit picky about!

It's also been very nice to get to know you in the flesh too!

Paperback Reader said...

Thank you Simon; I do take pride in making it to your blog roll!

Darlene said...

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your kind words. I love that you are recognizing some of my favourite blogs and more importantly, favourite people. You too, are a bright spot in my day Claire. Because of you and the others mentioned I'm a lot smarter, a lot happier and a wee bit leaner in the pocketbook but it's all good.

Paperback Reader said...

It is all good, Darlene! It is fabulous to be able to share our book obsessions with like-minded individuals who appreciate and nurture our passion.

verity said...

What a wonderful list - if that included you then it would probably be a very simiar list to the one that I'd write!

Paperback Reader said...

Thank you, Verity; it is mutual admiration after all!

JoAnn said...

Thank you so much, Claire! You've listed many of my favorite blogs, as well as a couple newly discovered ones.

Paperback Reader said...

You're welcome, JoAnn :).

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon a couple of brand new blogs, which I hadn't seen around before. Thanks!

Paperback Reader said...

I hope you enjoy them, anothercookie, and that they reciprocate - they won't be disappointed!

claire said...

Claire, thank you so much for the kind words! Need I say it? But I love your blog to bits! I guess it shows because I comment on almost every post, lol. Like you said, I love the fact we share a lot of favourite authors. But what's great about you is that, even for those authors and books I'm not familiar with, you tend to convert me!!

(By the way, I've gotten the first 6 of the Toni Morrisons in the glossy Vintage Intl. The last one I just got today! Yay!! Will wait for the other 3 of her books to be reprinted in this edition. LOL!)

claire said...

Oops.. forgot to give you the hugs and kisses! XOXOXO!

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

What a great list. I really enjoy the ones I know (Simon, Jackie, Simon, Claire, and Ana), so I must go right now and check out the others!

Color Online said...

Very nice post. Enjoyed reading about some of your favorites. I enjoy a few of them already and am enticed to visit others.

Amy said...

Great list and great comments. :) Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Gavin said...

I found you through Nymeth's blog. Your list is wonderful, several blogs I've never heard of that I have to add to my reader!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Thanks for a great list! How is it that I haven't heard of half of these bloggers. So many blogs!

Paperback Reader said...

Claire, you are so well thought of around the blogosphere and it is well-deserved - you are completely lovable! Yay for matching Morrisons! Every time we speak of those I remember that I still haven't picked up one of her books since February.

Teresa, please do! They are such lovely bloggers.

Color Online, thanks for commenting. I'm glad I have enticed you to visiting the others and I hope you enjoy them.

Hi Amy, it's such a joy to be part of all this excitement. Glad you liked my list.

Hi Gavin, thanks for commenting! I found your site through Nymeth's blog yesterday and added you to my Google Reader too.

Hi Natasha, thanks for commenting. That's what's great about this week: discovering so many new blogs that we are unaware of. Hopefully we maintain the initial contact and enjoy what each other has to say.

Stacy said...

We have some of the same favorites. I have the Persephone challenge to thank for making me familiar with Stuck in a Book and Book Snob.

Paperback Reader said...

Book PSmith, I'm so glad that you discovered Simon and Rachel via Persephone Reading Week- they are Persephone afficionados!

StuckInABook said...

Claire, thanks so much for the lovely mention! You've also picked most of my other favourite blogs for this post - we obviously have good taste :-)

I hope to meet more bloggers face-to-face in the future...

Oh, and I have you to thank for introducing me to the other Claire's blog, Kiss A Cloud - it's so gorgeous.

Paperback Reader said...

You're welcome, Simon! I'm looking forward to future meetings too.

I am so pleased that you have discovered Claire's blog through mine; it really is beautiful.

Mark David said...

Ooh more wonderful blogs to visit. My hands are certainly gonna be full this week even if I stop reading my books :)

Paperback Reader said...

Mark, I hope you enjoy my recommendations! They are all great bloggers.