Tuesday 6 October 2009

Teaser Tuesdays


Quote a couple of spoiler-free sentences from the book you’re reading to tempt others.

"She would collect him shortly to accompany her across the garden to the doctor's house for breakfast, him having been a good lad.
He lifted the blanket, swung his softening white feet onto the clean wood floor, and stood up, and immediately wanted to lie back down again and not lie back down again and go and not go anywhere and not be there and be home."
The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds p. 14-15

A Man Booker shortlisted title teaser today in honour of the Man Booker awards night later.


8 comments:

Rachel (Book Snob) said...

Well this sounds more fun than The Children's Book!

Darlene said...

Anxiously awaiting the announcement! I don't know anything about the book but like the teaser you chose Claire.

I'm really starting to feel very sorry for Rachel.

JoAnn said...

Can't wait for the announcement! Poor Rachel...

Rachel (Book Snob) said...

Thanks for the sympathy ladies...the GOOD news is that there are just 60 pages to go!!

Paperback Reader said...

Rachel, watching paint dry would be more fun that The Children's Book!
The last forty pages are actually propelled forward by plot but it is too little too late.

Darlene, I'll review this later in the week (I plan to finish it this evening before the announcement) but it about John Clare's time in a mental hospital and Alfred Lord Tennyson who lived nearby.
You should feel sorry for me too - I also suffered!

JoAnn, I am VERY excited about the announcement but also nervous...

gautami tripathy said...

It is on my wishlist!

Teaser Tuesdays: The Secret Hour by Luanne Rice

Unknown said...

What a wonderful teaser! I read these sentences several times as I just love them. I will have to purchase this book to read. I see why it was short listed for the Man Booker.

Paperback Reader said...

guatami, I hope you obtain a copy soon.

Amy, it is a fabulous quote; the writing is quite unique and the madness is well-evoked. I hope you enjoy it.