Friday 26 June 2009

Recent Acquisitions...



Yesterday I splurged a little and bought one book I have been wanting to read for some time; another that it a previous Man Booker winner and a title that my friend raves about; and a third Pulitzer-winning novel that was marked down by 75%! Each in a different bookshop.

I visited the Persephone shop in Bloomsbury first of all and purchased Katherine Mansfield's Journal, which has been at the top of my wish-list recently. It was a fly-by visit (preventing me from splurging further) as I took the scenic route and managed to become somewhat lost; as I was late to meet a friend my visit was execution only and I found the book, looked for the Persephone bookbag and was disappointed to find a plain, beige, jute one rather than the pretty grey, paid and departed. Just as well because when it comes to Persephone books I resemble a child in a sweetshop.

Later on in the evening I popped into Foyle's on Charing Cross Road for a wander and to buy The Bone People by Keri Hulme. I had already checked that they had it in stock on the website as I am desperate to read this after discussing the Man Booker winners recently. This novel from New Zealand won the Booker in 1985 and my friend, who read it last year, really raved about it so I needed to lay my hands on it quickly (and the library doesn't have a copy).

Another friend and I then popped across the road and into Borders so that I could sneakily read the Johnny Depp feature interview in this month's US Vanity Fair (£4.50 for a magazine cannot be justified, even if it is imported and contains the luscious Mr Depp). As we entered I spied copies of Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout with huge "75 % off" red stickers on the front cover; I calculated that the book would cost £1.75 and that was an offer I couldn't refuse. This novel in stories has been appearing across the blogosphere since it won the Pulitzer and I am looking forward to reading it.

Moreover, as I am discussing recent acquisitions, I should really show off the beautiful Viragoes I have managed to acquire over the last few weeks. My Virago collection has bred and spawned since last I spoke of it, mainly through immense generosity from members of the librarything Virago group and from eagle-eye spotting out and about and on ebay. Most of my Virago collection is shown in the photographs at the bottom of the page. The titles pictured immediately below are the ones I acquired recently, all ones that I was anxiously on the look out for and I can't wait to read them, but first I have to tackle and overcome the huge pile of library books calling to me, "read me, Seymour, read me".





13 comments:

Unknown said...

That Olive Kitteridge was a bargain! I really enjoyed it and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I loved The Bone People too, although it is a bit hard to follow in places. Enjoy your new purchases!

verity said...

Wow - beautiful photos. Am very envious of the number of Green Viragos.

I haven't read the Mansfield but I've heard some really good things about it.

I have that edition of Poor Cow but a different one of Olivia, which is on the tbrc.

Great post :)

Darlene said...

First of all, I too spied the fabulous Johnny Depp on the cover of Vanity Fair! Phwoar! Massively jealous of your jaunt about Persephone and then on to Charing Cross Road like it's nothing at all. It will be at least two years before I'll make that trip again sadly. Last but not least, I noticed that you have Stella Gibbons' Nightingale Wood on your shelf. I think that's going to be my next read as I need a good laugh after Saplings.

Karen said...

I have just started Olive Kitteridge and am loving it - hope you do too!

Paperback Reader said...

Jackie, I couldn't resist such a bargain and looking forward to reading my new purchases ... my only problem being that I'm not sure what to start with.

Verity, thank you; I am rather attached to my burgeoning Virago collection.

Those three copies of Viragoes pictured may be my favourites yet. I love my copy of Olivia; it was one I desperately wanted as the cover is a Klimt one (as is my copy of Love by Elizabeth Von Arnim). I am really looking forward to reading it soon.

Darlene, it's a fabulous photo shoot in VF! I didn't have time to read all of the article as it's a long feature but I hope to.

I have only lived in London for nine months so the treat of Thursday was still delightful. I used to work on Charing Cross Road so the novel nature of it wore off a little but now I'm back to pinching myself when I have the opportunity to spend a lovely afternoon book shopping.

I liked Nightingale Wood but didn't love it - hopefully it's just what you need! I must read Saplings soon; I keep meaning to and then allow other books to get in the way.

Karen, glad to hear that you are loving it! One of my friends gave up on it quite quickly as he hated it. I, on the other hand, am looking forward to it.

Ana S. said...

I love the covers of your Viragoes! Gorgeous things.

Paperback Reader said...

They really are, and far more appealing than the modern covers.

Vintage Reading said...

You last photo very much resembles my bookshelf. I'd have to have all those Lehmann's next to each other though!

Paperback Reader said...

Vintage Reading, you have good taste! The pastel and Anniversary Viragoes are lovely and I am exceptionally fond of that shelf.

The Lehmanns being separated does drive me a little insane (all of my other books by the same author are together) but to merge my green Viragoes and pastels -and consequently interrupting my rainbow- would make me even more so!

StuckInABook said...

I will never tire of looking at green Viragos...

Paperback Reader said...

Me neither!

Lizzy Siddal said...

Hello

Just found you via Savidgereads. Enjoying your blog this lunchtime and I'd just like to second your friend's opinion about The Bone People. It's not an easy read but it is pretty unforgettable.

I have a review which you may wish to read (once you've read it, of course!)

Paperback Reader said...

Hi Lizzie and thanks for posting!
I am definitely looking forward to reading The Bone People and will seek out your review once I have.