Wednesday 20 May 2009

More Library Loot




My name is Paperback_Reader and I have eyes bigger than my book stomach. In all honesty this is a serious situation. I have another pile of books from the library, even though I've yet to finish my last loot and also have a book group book to read for next week and other books piling up around me eyes as well as tons of reviewing to catch up on. Oh well, at least it's not a stress in my life that makes me hyperventilate but something entertaining and joyful.

The latest haul:

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey: A Persephone that I will add to my collection (probably in the Classic format as the cover is exquisite), I've been wanting to read this one for some time and Simon's review (of which there is an image of the lovely endpaper included) intensified that wish so I requested it from library inter-loan. It is a short read so I am hoping to fit it in over the weekend before I plough through the book for book group and the remainder of my previous library loot.

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson: I mentioned this in my last library loot post as I had requested it at that point. Anyway it arrived, I finally wandered around to collect it (I was waiting for the others), and I am looking forward to reading it. Moreover, the back blurb is a quote from Esther Freud (from her foreword), "Eccentric, funny, wise, full of joys, and small adventures. This is a book for life." This quote excites me because I trust Esther Freud and I believe what she writes.

The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures by Louis Theroux: As probably previously mentioned, I don't read a lot of non-fiction but this is something I am attempting to remedy. I saw this book on a shelf on my fly-by visit to collect books and borrowed it; the boy and I really enjoy watching Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends on BBC iplayer and this is a follow-up book he wrote after the series. I find Louis highly amusing and I am hoping this translates to his writing.

Some Prefer Nettles by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki: I also mentioned this book in the last loot post as it was one I requested. It arrived exceptionally quickly, I collected it promptly, and am currently 2/3 of the way through but thought I would include it in the photograph.

Julie and Julia: 365 Recipes, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell: The link takes you to the paperback version with a different subtitle but it is the same book, just reformated, and this link gives you a synopsis. This book has been on my wishlist for perhaps the last six months or so and I desperately want to read it before the film (with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams) is released later this year.

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb: Oh my Goodness, my eyes are definitely bigger than my book stomach because this is a TOME! Now there would be a very good chance that I could finish this between now and its due date in three weeks IF I didn't have the other books to read also; here's hoping I can renew it.

Okay, now back to the reading.

1 comment:

claire said...

Good luck with the Wally Lamb! I returned seven books to the library yesterday.. four read, three unread. I still have three at home that are due next week. I'm not sure if I can finish even one of these by then, lol.

Can't wait what you think of The Summer Book. I've been waiting to find a copy for so long, maybe when we move next month I'll be able to find one (our library here doesn't have a copy).